Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hello Again, Hello.

No, not from the Great American Songwriter. Just me I'm afraid, with some random manifesto-like catchup thoughts during my time away. Consider this the (re)introduction I didn't do in the first place.

I am not in the midst of a financial crisis. I was once. Sorta. I probably should have started a blog then. Instead, I started reading everybody elses'. That didn't turn out to be such a bad idea. I cleaned my act up years ago. The basics are covered. We have no non-mortgage debt. I use my credit card for most everyday purchases, pay off the balance in full every month, and reap the rewards usually to buy household items we'd normally have to shell out money for. I have a large emergency fund, which we continues to grow. Targeted savings account for specific unforeseen emergencies. You know, the usual stuff.

Somehow though, that doesn't mean my financial doings are uninteresting. Maybe its my over active analytical brain, but I am no where near auto pilot.
We've made decisions that still we still need to pay the piper for. A large mortgage, that leaves me with a lot more monthly overhead than I'm comfortable with. A day job (which I already tried once to quit) that is quite profitable, but mostly meh. An overwhelming desire to stay home and be able to spend my time as I see fit. An abhorrence for a non-self directed 40 hour work week.

So, this is not a blog about cutting coupons, paying off credit cards, eating processed foods, and getting crap you don't need for cheap.

This is the story of a (mostly) reformed consumer, a burgeoning urban homestead, an over the top dog lover, trying to be master of my own destiny, and revel in the experience of my life and the role money plays in it. A Corporate American, who'd like to do something different. A terrible goal maker. This is about constantly asking the question "What do I want to be when I grow up?" and, at the same time, realizing there is no finite answer.

Since last we spoke, I have quit an all encompassing, but mostly awesome job that I really liked, but probably shouldnt have stayed at forever, to return to my hum-drum better paid Corporate ways. Already, I am plotting my exit. Again. While also contemplating the benefits of staying put for as long as I can take it, without wasting my life away.

I've tried this blogging exercise once before. It didn't roll too terribly far. However, I'm leaving it out there for the world (and myself) to refer back to. Its a nice little point in time snapshot, of where I've been and the financial thoughts that stew around in head

No comments:

Post a Comment