Monday, February 1, 2010

Money Saving Monday

This should be the most important day of the week around here, especially in these circumstances. Without further ado..

Sold DVD sets on Ebay - $56. This is the grand total after paypal, ebay and shipping fees. I haven't sold on ebay in a couple years, and I gotta say, its less profitable than it once was. Fees are up, and sellers are greatly encouraged to offer free shipping now. Seriously cuts into the profits.

Sold books and miscellaneous DVDs at used bookstore - $41. Over the past week or so I have been slowing picking at our shelves accumulating a pile of little watched or read items. I know I get a fraction of their worth selling them this way, but its a very time effective way to get a bit of cash.

Debts owed to me - $10. I swung by to drop off a book with a friend, and she repaid me $10 for a dog toy I bought for her. Hey, every bit counts at this point.

Those were my most tangible earnings, but we also..

Used our $5 Costco chicken to its fullest potential. This week we managed to get 3 dinners, 2 lunches, and a large quantity of broth (1/2 to be used later in the week and 1/2 frozen), which is great because we are almost out. That chicken is a huge money saver for us.

With the Husband home, he has embarked on a weatherizing campaign. Today involved caulking external seals on our front windows. Thank goodness! He even dug through the garage to find the caulk and caulk guns which we both knew were there.

The Husband is also doing a decent job of picking up some odd work. He managed to earn about $200 thus far, with promises of a bit more.

An old colleague/friend bought me lunch today, which was very nice. I ate 1/2, and took 1/2 home to the Husband. With our food budget so out of control, these things have to be stretched. It wasn't unusual to my friend, as I typically only eat a half portion at this particular restaurant.

That is mostly it for this week. I still have clothes and some miscellaneous items to sell, but I think my earning will be less. Also doing an overnight with my moms dogs, which she will thankfully pay me for. There are rumblings of the Husband going back to work. It is far far far from anything concrete. I am trying to just focus on surviving without dipping into the savings at the moment. Focus on the here and now, not the what might happen. Plus, I don't want to jinx anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment