Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Spending

With the current financial crisis in full effect, we are really feeling the pinch. This makes tracking our spending so much more important that ever. I gotta say we didn't do too hot this week. February hasn't even officially started, and we are behind. I am kinda freaking out internally.

*Deep Breath* Ok, here goes...

Gas - $52 split between both cars. That was $15 for me and $37 for the Husband.
Neither one of us were completely empty, but we decided to fill-up to lessen the blow. Normally its about $85 if both of us need a full tank.

Groceries - $123 (!!!!!) The bulk of this was spent at Whole Foods, but we did spend $9 at Costco for my favorite $5 chicken and a carton of eggs. This is way over budget. Like $50 over budget. Some of this cost has to be absorbed by spending next to nothing on groceries next week. We were out of some staples (flour). I also think our recent lack of food led me too stock up a bit more than usual. Things around here were pretty lean towards the end of last week. I don't like opening up an empty fridge, but this was really out of control.

Pets - $168. Again with the huge expense. The good news is that the vast majority of this was a $140 much needed trip to the groomer. It just couldn't be put off any longer. The other $28 was glucosamine supplements, treats, and wet food for the kitties.

And if it wasn't bad enough...

Entertainment - $25. I know, I know. We were very generously invited to go see a show with some friends of ours. They had extra tickets ($55 each) which they gave us. I managed to bag out of dinner out (which I felt terrible about), and we walked 20 minutes to the venue in order to get free parking. But, I felt like I had to at least buy them a drink for the free tickets. Drinks at a theater, not cheap. It'd all be fine if I actually had an entertainment budget to tap.

So there it is. Our spending for the weekend. I can't say as I am proud of it.

We continue to struggle with our old life vs. our new. I feel like a broken record. Previously, these things would not have been a big deal. At all. But in the new world order, this is a huge outlay of cash for an incredibly strapped budget.

I am managing to scrape together odds and ends of cash. I have no idea if its going to be enough. More on that tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment