Thursday, January 7, 2010

Text-ual Obligations

Today is a former co-workers Birthday. My old Bosses' actually. I sent him a nice little text wishing him a Happy Birthday, and seeing if he wants to get together for coffee and donuts on Friday. We try to see each other pretty regularly, and historically have always had a meal for Birthdays. We make plans to meet up, and I am looking forward to seeing him. All is right with the world.

Uhm, I don't have any money.

Donuts and coffee is really only going to be $7. In the past, I would never have had to consider $7, even if I was a little low on cash. I honestly didn't think twice about it when I posed the question. But, in the midst of our post Christmas Crisis, I realized $7 for eating out is suddenly a much bigger deal. There literally is not an extra $7 in my budget for the next 2 weeks.

I can't just go off fulfilling social obligations like I used to. Not when they cost money.

What will I do? Options are -

1) Cancel with Old Boss. I would rather not be that flake. Its an important social/professional contact to maintain. You never know...

2) Come up with $7. I can beg the Husband for a small extra portion of his allowance. Mine is already committed to covering class expenses. I can dip into the 'Stripper Fund'. The not-so secret stash of $1 bills I save up. I really try not to do this, ever. It defeats the whole purpose of 'saving' them in the first place.

Not sure just yet what I will do. I think, at the very least I will bring coffee from home to mitigate some of the cost. Ha! Now we are looking at $5!

I continue to be amazed at how these small details in my life have changed. Such an off-hand remark for something I have been doing for 10 years is suddenly a big flipping deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment