Thursday, September 1, 2011

Organic Bacon from Hippieville

Some of my spending habits might seem a little .... "odd". In fact, because I tend to talk about things Im excited about, which is typically what I'm spending money on, I often get to see and hear the judgement from people on where Im putting my hard earned dinero. Enter, "Organic Bacon from Hippieville". A phrase recently coined by a co-worker as a commentary on my grocery spending.

I may have mentioned this a time or two before, but where my food comes from, thats important to me. Supporting my local economy and ensuring a future for farmers, also important. Limiting the Corporate Crap I put into my body, thats a biggie too. Because of all those reasons, I am an avid shopper at my local Farmers Market.

 Now, Ive often seen Farmers Market shopping listed as a way to save money on your grocery bill. This always makes me snerk. *Snerk* Here in the PNW, it could not be farther from the truth. Don't get me wrong, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to choose from a plethora of farm fresh, organic, locally raised, borderline artisinal products. For that opportunity I pay dearly.

 $8 for bacon folks. $6 for a dozen eggs. Another $8 for a 1/2 gallon of raw milk.

 Yup. Those are not typos.

 Given those prices, its understandable why people think I'm crazy. How can I possibly be frugal when I am gladly paying such completely ridiculous prices for staple goods?

 Next case scenario; My dogs. The mere fact that I have a pack o' mutts, means the cost of their care is exponentially higher than that of your average one dog house hold. Add that to the fact that I have not once bought dog food at a grocery store, or even a big box. I want my dogs to live long healthy lives. I also don't believe I should compromise their care because I made the choice to have so many dogs. They are my responsibility. One I intend to live up to.

Hence, when my dog starts having mobility issues in her front end, she goes to the doggie chiropractor. To the tune of $38 per visit. My other dog with knee issues, greatly benefits from Therapy Swimming in a warm water pool. Also not cheap. Let's not get started on their food budget. Yes, they have their own category. Just for food.

I am not arguing that these things aren't extreme. Im just saying to me, they are important.

So, how can I be frugal? Enter prioritized spending, a concept oft explored on some of my favorite PF blogs, namely Get Rich Slowly.

While I dont scrimp on food and pet care, I do a bunch of other random things.
Such as...
Making our own Laundy Soap.
 Hang drying our clothes, year round, with my handy-dandy basement clothes line.
Choosing not to have cable.
Giving the vast majority of my peoples homemade jam and pickles for Christmas this year.
Bringing my lunch to work with me, at least 4 days a week.
Carpooling with a co-worker, at least one day a week. Gas Money reimbursement is typically in the form of lunch on me once a month or so.
Our Friday Night usually consists of homemade pizza, a cheap bottle of wine, an expensive chocolate bar, netflix and a couch full of dogs. (I know. I know. My life is thrilling.)
And this is only a sampling.

Now, these things do nothing to help my crazy-factor in the eyes of co-workers, but they enable my bacon habit. More importantly, I enjoy these things. No seriously, I do. I made a whole buncha jam and pickles this year. During that process, I spent time with the husband and friends. That's my kind of multi-tasking. I *love* my indoor clothesline, and that my house has the perfect spot for it. Not to mention how much longer it makes my clothes last. And on the off chance our Friday night ritual is compromised by some other obligation, I've been known to get more than a little grumpy about it.

For me its a win-win. I enjoy $8 bacon, but not expensive dinners out (well, not all the time). I want my dogs to live long and happy lives, and they are my best 'free' entertainment. Because we cook such yummy food, I am typically excited about the leftovers in my lunch sack.

These are things my while-collar co-workers have no interest in doing. Not most of them. No judgement here. I am certainly not claiming that my grocery and pet budgets don't need almost constant reining in. These are definitely things I am apt to go overboard on. Although, if you ask The Husband, I am also prone to extremities in my frugal tendencies. That's another topic entirely. Again its about priorities, and like most everything in life, its always a matter of perspective. Today I will happily munch my homemade raw milk yogurt, topped with locally produced granola and organic raspberries. While they come swinging in with their Corporate Coffee cups and greasy Fast Food bags. Ok, so maybe just a little judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment